Make a Mask - Get the Pattern Here
Mask with Double Pocket Instructions updated 3/25/20
Note: If you have already made masks, please bring them in, no matter the style. We’ll find use for them. As we go forward, please use this design with ties (not elastic).
- Material needs to be tightly woven 100% cotton.
- Be sure to wash all fabric before sewing with hot water.
- Cut a fabric rectangle 10"x 14.6" (Pattern is placed on fold of fabric).
- Wire 4" (loop ends back ¼” and crimp to reduce wire poking through fabric). You may use floral wire, pipe cleaners, twist ties, jewelry wire, etc. Anything that is thin and flexible. No tape on the ends.
- Cut 2 fabric ties 1 ¾”x approx. 30”
- Supplies may be available at the County Administration Building at 317 South 2nd Street, Montrose.
- Drop off completed masks to the County Administration 317 South 2nd. Street, Montrose.
- There are bins out in front. Call Sue Hansen so that she can either bring out materials you need or collect finish masks. 970 596 0620. There have been problems with people taking the mask.
Time Savers (See next section of pattern):
- If you have fabric that is at least 43” wide, fold in half and half again to be able to cut out two at a time along the length of the fabric.
- Make yourself a corner (1 ¾”) and 2 ½” template to make marking quicker.
- Construct many masks at a time completing each step on all pieces before moving to the next step.
Instructions for Mask:
- All seam allowances for this pattern are ¼”
- zig zag along short ends of 10"x 14.6" rectangle
- Fold right-sides together matching zigzagged ends
- Measure along zig zag end 2/ 1/2" from each side.
- Sew each side from the edge to 2/1/2" mark.
- Move sewn end to the middle of the tube, making the opening for the pocket in the middle of the mask; iron flat
- Measure 1 3/4" from each corner, both directions
- Draw diagonal line across corners
- Sew on this line; trim off corners leaving 1/4"
- Turn right-sides out; iron all edges
- Cut wire to 4”; bend ends over and crimp so it does not have a sharp end that can poke thru cloth.
- Place wire inside top edge of mask
- Topstitch along top and bottom edges (not ends)
- With pocket opening facing you, fold bottom and top edges to center, with slight overlap. Iron.
- To make left side pleats
- Fold bottom flap corner toward you so that edge forms right angle
- Fold top flap corner away from you and form the right angle as before.
- Repeat on right side
- Fold end over so it is even with edge of right-angle edge of previous step
- Fold again to overlap the darts
- Sew along folded edge
Instructions for Ties
- Cut two pieces of fabric approx. 1 ¾ x 30”
- Fold each piece in half lengthwise, using an iron to get clear crease.
Fold each side in half; iron
- Fold in half; iron
- Sew along open side
- Fold tie in middle.
- Place middle of tie in center side of mask. Stitch in place.