Senior & Veteran Exemptions
Senior Property Tax Exemption
IMPORTANT NOTICE: SENIOR PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTION:
Funding status for tax year 2021 (payable 2022)
2021 tax year funding for the senior property tax exemption was approved during the 2021 Colorado Legislative Session.
A property tax exemption is available to senior citizens, surviving spouses of previously qualified senior citizens, and disabled veterans. For those who qualify, 50 percent of the first $200,000 in actual value of their primary residence is exempted. The State of Colorado pays the exempted portion of the property tax. Once approved, the exemption remains in effect for future years, and the applicant should not re-apply.
* The 2021 tax year application deadline is July 15, 2021.
* 2021 tax year applications will be accepted between January 1, 2021 and July 15, 2021.
* Late applications will be accepted until August 16, 2021. However, late applications have no appeal rights.
To apply for the exemption, or to obtain additional information about the exemption, please contact the county assessor’s office at 970-249-3753.
Basic Senior Exemption Qualifications
Applicants who meet each of the following requirements may qualify for the senior exemption, please read the long/short form instructions below for details.
- Age Requirement: You are 65 years old or older as of January 1 of the year for which you are seeking exemption.
- Ownership Requirement: You are the current owner of record, and you have owned the property for at least 10 consecutive years prior to January 1 of the tax year for which you are seeking the exemption.
- Occupancy Requirement: You occupy the property as your primary residence, and you have done so for at least 10 consecutive years prior to January 1 of the tax year for which you are seeking the exemption.
Senior Exemption Documents
- Long Form Senior Exemption Instructions
- Short Form Senior Exemption Instructions
- View or Print Long Form Senior Exemption Application
- View or Print Short Form Senior Exemption Application
Disabled Veteran Property Tax Exemption
* The 2021 tax year Disabled Veteran application deadline is July 1, 2021.
For more information concerning qualifications for the Disabled Veteran exemption, please contact the Colorado Division of Veterans Affairs. Their telephone number is 970-257-3760.