Retail Food License
Steps to get a retail food license
1. Complete a Plan Review
Determine if you're a fixed location or a mobile unit, and if you will be operating in a county we directly inspect and license, then submit the appropriate plan review packet to us and include the $100 fee. Make check payable to Montrose County Public Health.
A complete plan review packet includes the following information:
- Menu and food handling procedures.
- Facility floor plan and equipment layout.
- Equipment list by manufacturer and model number. Equipment designated for home use isn't acceptable.
- Manufacturer's specification sheets for all equipment.
- Mechanical diagrams, including plumbing, lighting, electrical, and kitchen and restroom ventilation.
- Interior finish schedule. May include samples of materials, finishes and colors.
Submit all documents to:
Montrose County Public Health
Environmental Health Department
1845 S Townsend Ave, West Wing
Montrose, CO 81401
or Gina Simpson at email@example.com
Your plans will be reviewed within 14 days of receipt. Submittal of incomplete or incorrect plans may delay final approval. When your plans are approved, we will send you an invoice for the cost of the review (not to exceed $580) and license fee. We will also send you the license application and your plan review approval letter. If applicable, you can begin construction or operation when you receive your plan approval letter.
2. Colorado Sales Tax License
Get a Colorado Sales Tax License from the Department of Revenue. It's required for all retail food establishments.
3. Retail Food Establishment License Application
Complete and return the completed license application and pay all invoices. Montrose County Public Health will issue your license.
Additional licensing may be required. Depending on the type of business, you may need some or all of the license types below: