Motor Vehicle

Colorado State Department of Revenue requires all Motor Vehicle transactions to be accompanied by any form of Secure and Verifiable Identification.
The following is a list of transactions that will require your identification:
  • New Titles
  • Duplicate Titles
  • New Registrations
  • New Temporary Registration Permits
  • New Placards
Proof of Insurance
Proof of insurance is required to obtain or renew a license plate in Colorado. Your physical address must be in Montrose County.

Handicap applications
Handicap applications are available. In order to obtain a handicap license plate or placard, the application must be signed by a physician and returned to the MV office.

Out of State Vehicles
All out of state vehicles must have a VIN inspection by a Colorado law enforcement officer before you may obtain a Colorado registration or title. The VIN inspection fee is $10.00. The following must be provided:
  • Title or Current Registration
  • VIN Inspection
  • Drivers License
Registration Fees
Registration fees are based on the year, weight and taxable value of the vehicle.

New Motor Vehicle Fee Schedule Effective July 1st 2009